View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
The two biggest reasons why the Mavs have struck out in FA while Dirk was here... For so long, it had to do with not having any cap space. Once the Mavs finally had cap space, the Mavs had won a championship and we're basically without assets to attract free agents other than an aging Dirk. It really makes you question what in the hell the Mabs front office was doing in years since the championship... Constant missteps.
I would also cite the strange paradox of seemingly blowing up the championship squad---but not really. They let assets leave w/out getting anything in return. But then sent out a 1st rounder for Odom. Didn't get anything in return for Marion.

I think we've seen time and again that these supergrass are built through stockpiling assets and then flipping them for a "star". Or the SAS method by which they landed Kawhi: trading a valuable vet for a guy they saw as a future star. The Mavs equivalent would've been the often cited Roddy for Indy's 11th pick. That's presuming we would taken Paul George of course. He would've been this teams Kawhi.

Moving up a couple spots a few years ago could've landed us Steven Adams.
Andre Drummond fell to #8 or something. The smartest organization have the assets on hand to make those deals when the opportunities arise. Utah traded up into Minnesotas spot a few years ago with the 16&21(?). Problem is they took Trey Burke. Turns out Dieng and Shabazz are both better players that Minny took with those picks. So I think it's collecting assets, identifying a target and lastly and most importantly picking the right guy! Also, we had another Kawhi type fall into our laps with Giannis and Cuban outwitted himself...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote