Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #305
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

I just found the Adrian Wojnarowski podcast. I was listening to the episode with Zach Lowe from the start of the season, and at 34:20 in (link here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/art...woj/e/51417701) they talk about something very interesting. I never knew Steph told the Warriors not to draft him because he wouldn't sign there. They talk about how Porzingis would of gone 10th to Orlando in 2014, but he didn't want to play for them & decided to stay another year in Europe. Even further with the unicorn, they talk about how Philly wanted him, but he wouldn't work out for them. Philly wound up taking Jahil Okafor instead, and New York wound up with Porzingis despite the fact Phil Jackson never even saw him play until very late in the scouting process.

Very interesting stuff, especially for Mavs' fans. I've always agreed with what Zach Lowe said "call these players' bluffs". But teams fall for it time & time again from Eli with San Diego to the Giants in the NFL, to Stevie Franchise with the Grizzilies, Kobe falling to 13th & then a trade to the Lakers LOL... I think we're blessed here in Dallas. Btw, earlier in the podcast they talk about the tanking reform and discuss how teams attract quality FAs.

I could see a scenario where the Mavs are picking 4th, with say Sacramento picking 3rd, and a prized draft pick is telling his agent to make sure Sacramento knows he won't sign with them that he wants to play for the Mavs. Not only are we a well-thought of organization around the league from the players' perspective especially, but we might owe a lot to New York passing on Dennis Smith Jr last year because with DSJ now a future top 5 draft pick has a reason to want to come play with the Mavs!
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote