Thread: Nerlens Noel
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #1034
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Is that so wrong? Can we dive a little deeper than just Carlisle Good, Noel Bad?
Let me start, that I'm pointing this out just in case you don't realize it ... otherwise I wouldn't bother and I don't mean to be antagonistic. The short time you've on this forum, you've repeatedly said other people wrong regardless of their arguments. You are a black and white type of person but we in a gray sports world where more than one person can be right. And on to the diving ...

Quote:
got a lot of responses saying I was contradicting myself. This article references Carlisle's reputation numerous times.
I was one of those people. I suggested that RC more accurately has very little patience for players that have a low BBIQ and as Bryan_Wilson stated players that flat out do not give full effort. I find zero fault in RC if a 20-something year old player doesn't want to put forth the effort and the gets benched.

Quote:
I think it's a black mark on this franchise A) that we didn't do a better job of scouting Noel before we made the trade for him, and B) that we didn't do a better job of developing him.
It's a valid argument that we didn't scout enough, but at the same time we really didn't give up very much to take a chance and possible Tyson Chandler 2.0.

Quote:
Maybe it's some elite level tanking to bench Noel in favor of a guy like Mejri who 10 years from now will have a career less impressive than Greg Dreiling
Again, you are being black and white. What team in the 30 team league does not have "role players" like Mejri? Again, name a team that doesn't have some player they took a chance on that just hasn't worked out? All of them? It's not a guarantee that a player is going to be who you want them to be.

Quote:
instead of making it work with a player who has the talent to be part of a championship team.
Have you ever coached a kids youth sports team? There are players who give you everything they have and there are players who just don't care. A coach cannot make someone care. If a person doesn't want to do something, this isn't the military where we can tell them to do it or they get court marshaled. Your argument here is completely invalid.

Quote:
That's what Cuban said just a few days ago. "Every player in our locker room knows that we're an organization whose main goal is to win championships. That's what we're about." Maybe someone should tell Carlisle that.
Yes, this organization is about championships. If a player doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to practice and play hard, they are not contributing towards a championship. Ship him out. Hell, look at the Cavaliers as a perfect example. Half their team just got traded and they were still expected to be in the finals.

Quote:
Understand these 18 year old & 19 year old kids aren't going to come in here with the maturity of a 30 plus year old Devin Harris or Salah Mejri, or a realistic view of their own abilities. Very few would do that. If the way Carlisle handled Noel is any judge, the Mavs could be in trouble.
This was exactly my argument against trading Devin Harris actually.

Last edited by MavzMan; 02-09-2018 at 01:07 PM.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote