Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #624
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

With Trae Young, the challenge will be dissecting whether he is putting up insane numbers on a bad team, or if that bad team is also the reason he may go through these slumps.

Any coach worth his salt is going to throw everything at him. Two defenders, bigger/longer defenders, traps, etc. Make the other players on that roster beat you.

It's the Malik Monk issue that I think trapped him in Norman. Remember Monk was heavily pressed, and subsequently wrongly scrutinized for choosing Kentucky. It simply was his best option to lock in his draft status. Young had legacy at Texas Tech, and almost went there. I think he'd fit outstandingly there and they'd be real threats to win it all, if they aren't already.

I just see a real issue with Trae Young in the NBA going up against bigger, quicker guards than he sees in college. Of course that a generalization when looking at draft prospects as a whole, but there's no way in hell his is a legit 6'2...

To me, BPA really doesn't apply to the NBA draft process. Doubly so if you are in the Mavs position, and have a cornerstone at PG that needs the ball in his hands, as well as improvement to his defensive game. DSJ + TY backcourt would be incredible offensively and most likely borderline unplayable on defense.

The comparisons to Lillard and McCollum are probably spot on offensively. Defensively, those two are both bigger guards than Smith Jr. and Young. Again, I do not believe Trae Young is 6'2.

It's tough. I do think he has traits of Steph. I think Steph was more advanced defensively at the same age, but these are prospects that can always grow parts of their game. some of the same weaknesses applied to Steph, but they always came with the risk.

The challenge for the Mavs front office will be one of fit, and one of risk. What is the long term fit considering DSJ is a cornerstone? And what is the risk when compared to similarly rated prospects? Say the risk is similar to a Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson Jr. or other...tough call that we hopefully won't have to make.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote