Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #667
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
You hear the upside for Ayton, and you think Wow! David Robinson 2.0, I read some stat the other day that Ayton is averaging something like 19 ppg, 10 rpg and a true shooting % of 65%, and only 2 other players in NCAA history have done that Blake Griffin & David Robinson... So, I keep Ayton atop my rankings for that type of upside.

But, when I hear things like NBA body & some of the other things said about Ayton, it's like who cares? He's not the next Shaq. What stands out to me is his shooting touch (and form/mechanics) for his size. Plus, what they say about his agility & ability to play the PnR defense.

Yet, when you look at JJJ, he does all of those same things Ayton does only better. He has better range on his jump shot, shoots better from the line, and he's definitely a better shot blocker, just as if not more agile defending the perimeter. When you look at it from that perspective, I wonder why not JJJ over Ayton?

I'll put it this way, if we get a top 2 pick & draft Ayton, I'll be ECSTATIC!!!

But, if we wind up a few spots lower and land JJJ, I'll be just as ECSTATIC!!!
David Robinson is one of the most fluid athletes at his size we've ever seen. I don't see that with Ayton. He's explosive vertically and has nice footwork offensively for a big. Robinson stayed lean, I see Ayton if anything becoming bulkier. He reminds me more of Hakeem only without the all-world defense.

Ayton projects to be able to score in a variety of ways and can pass some whereas JJJ seems mainly around the rim and 3 point. No reason to think JJJ cant develop in some ways to be at least a threat to drive, post up or kick out. Maybe a slightly less athletic but more well rounded Ibaka is his upside. Ibaka's second year in the league, around age 20 (so he says--he looks and plays more like a 32 year old not his listed 28), he didn't even attempt a 3 point shot! So if JJJ is a guy that can average 18-10-3 once he gets stronger and develops some offensive game, on around 35-40% from 3. Whats that worth? We're talking about maxing out Capela who cant shoot from 3 and will likely never develop a post game or drive and kick.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote