Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #683
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
IMO I would take Mikal Bridges or Gary Trent Jr. over Young. Young’s game just doesn’t translate to the next level. He’s absolutely abysmal on defense. His recent inefficient offense gets a pass because OU doesn’t have anyone else who can create offense, but if he’s struggling against college defenders keying on him, how will he hold up against NBA guys? He will be physically outmatched every game. He’s shot above 40% just 5 of 13 games during the New Year. I think it’s pretty clear he’s going to go the way of Trey Burke and Jonny Flynn.
He's a guy you could look back 5 years from now & say he shouldn't of been drafted in the 1st round, when compared to the other players taken. Or, he could be a guy, like Steph, who you look back and say "How was he not the 1st player taken?" I don't think any of the other top tier players have that wide a range of outcomes.

I can see even lower ranked players than Mikal Bridges and Gary Trent Jr who I could conceivably make a case for taking over Young. That said, his defense isn't a factor for me. He's not been a great college defender this year, and I agree with the guy from the Ringer his NBA future will hinge on whether you believe he can do the same things he's doing right now in college at the NBA level. Since he's not a good defender now in college, it's a moot point.

I don't know. I was pretty high on Trae Young, but that comment by the guy on the Ringer podcast is making me think.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote