Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #711
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Averaging 18 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks per game over the last 8 games is not purely potential. Especially if you take in consideration how much growth we have seen in his game over the course of a year.

Also keep in mind who he is surrounded with compared to JJJ at Michigan State.

I've already stated that I am not fully on board the JJJ train. Right now I would be good with him at 4-7. I do understand the well made point that he has an under stated game that will A. Translate well to the NBA and B. Fit well on the Mavs roster. I just believe he is benefiting greatly from a fantastic situation which allows him to put up great efficiency numbers that we tend to fall in love with.

I want to point out that it's not like I don't like the guy... I just don't see him ahead of Ayton, Doncic, or Porter. I consider Bagley, Bamba, and him to be the next tier with it being a toss up between Bamba and him. And I have something in the back of my head telling me that Bagley is going to reenter the conversation come the end of March as a top 3 prospect.
I guess we all have the guys we like more than others. JJJ's teammates are maybe more accomplished, but Texas has serious talent on its roster. Kerwin Roach is a projected 2nd round draft pick. Matt Coleman was a top 35 player in the country last year. Jericho Sims was a top 70 player. For the first half of the year he played with Jones who was a late 1st round projected pick in some mocks.

When I look at Bamba compared to JJJ, it's not just stats. I've seen Bamba take plays off. I haven't seen JJJ do that. JJJ defends the pick n roll and the perimeter far better than Bamba, it's not even close. That doesn't show up in the box score, other than 2 pts for the opponent. And one of the best things I've read about Bamba to describe his game is he avoids contact & relies on his height & reach to grab rebounds over opponents. He's not a guy who plants his rear on somebody every time a shot goes up & boxs out. Sometimes he's going all out & like I said sometimes he takes plays off.

I get being apprehensive about JJJ. He's got a lot to prove still too, but I just like what he's showing me so far better.

As far as Bagley having a March Madness that bumps up his draft stock, Kemba Walker is the only player I can ever remember where it's worked out for a player whose draft stock was bumped up based on late tournament runs. Not saying you're wrong about that, but if I'm the Mavs I steer clear.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote