View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #782
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I thought a lot about this tanking and super team craziness that's going on in recent years and really would like the league to aggressively adjust asap.

Imho what you would need to do is allow teams to sign one players to an unlimited contract. Meaning that he can earn whatever. In exchange, the new max deals are getting significantly lowered, let's say by 50%. I would also increase minimum contracts by 100%. This not only strengthens the middle class of players, but also let's superstars think twice whether they'd like to get 10M per year while the "unlimited" player on a team earns 45M.

You could even say that only players that played at least for X years for a team are eligible to receive an unlimited contract.

As for the draft, I personally like that the worst teams get the best odds. It's not a bad system in terms of competitive balance, but obviously no team should feel forced to lose games. I would keep the lottery system intact, but give the bottom 14 teams the same chance. The worst teams however could get some valuable exceptions or benefits to use in free agency. Let's say the worst team in the league earns an exception to boost any non-unlimited contract by 50% of it's max, or add another year? Suddenly you can offers key free agents 15M per over five years while other teams can only go as high as 10M over four.

Again: I think not being able to attract free agents and super teams is as much of an issue as tanking and both should be addressed.
Must spread rep. These are some interesting ideas.