View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #417
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
My loose definition of super team is when 3 or more players get together who were their own team's franchise players. Toronto/Bosh, Cleveland/Bron, Miami/Wade. Worthy and Pippen were never franchise players. Rodman, hell no. Now the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton yes that should have been.
Fair enough, but it seems arbitrary. Again, I think it's a difference without a distinction. If the end result is the same- one team being dominant- what does it matter how the team came together. (Oh and not for nothing, but Pippen was absolutely a franchise player. He was a top 10 player of that era, and carried the Bulls to a 55 win season without Jordan.)

Quote:
KG/Ray/Rondo is more no than yes because Rondo was really young and stepped up big time, but it is close.
Uh.... Rondo???? The Celtics big three was KG, Ray, and Pierce- not Rondo. Pierce had been their franchise player for a decade. By your definition, that was definitely a superteam.

Quote:
Jordan's Bulls I will say no every single time. Look at what every one of those players did away from Jordon and Phil. Phil is one of the best coaches of all time IMO who had arguably the best player of all time, but besides Pippen, those were teams of at best solid role players and nothing more.

GS is a little different in that Curry is the franchise player, but Klay and Green add up to another even though they've never been on other teams. Adding KD was just the supreme kick in the nuts.
Again, it seems like an arbitrary label. That Bulls team was the greatest team ever. But they weren't... super?

Quote:
This is easily fixed with some cap management by the league. Off the top of my head, give each team a $50 mill/yr max they can sign one player to. Then give a set remaining balance for everyone else, like 2 players get $12, 2 more get $8, so on. If a KD type player takes $12 instead of $36, then good for him.
Eh. I don't think restricting player movement or limiting teams to only having one star would be good for the product. I think it would just result in a lot of really, really mediocre basketball, and water the talent pool down even more.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote