Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #1825
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
It’s actually 26% if you just count the formers using the 256 number. He says “about” 25%. I don’t know why you think the total is important. It’s not like college players are playing against all 158 of those on the radar players. They are playing against a diluted talent pool just like Doncic.
Doncic is playing the same 15 teams over & over -- the talent in Europe is concentrated as hell... And he's beating guys who couldn't stick or get into the NBA 5-10 years ago and still can't. Is winning against Nick Calathes, Rudy Fernandez, and Roddy Beaubois supposed to impress me? These Euros washed out in the first place because their game doesn't translate to the NBA as well as NCAA... How many prospective NBA draftees is Doncic beating each night? I bet none of those teams are as stacked with future NBA players as Duke, Villanova, Michigan State, Arizona, Kentucky, etc... The top-end talent in the NCAA is heads & shoulders above EuroLeague.

And that's my problem with Doncic -- once you look past the narrative that he's "dominating the second-best league in the world" the tape isn't as impressive as the hype... Sure, the highlights are pretty, but the kid's game isn't as complete as a lot of other players at the top of the draft. Doncic takes a lot of plays off, especially when the ball isn't in his hands. He certainly doesn't display the same energy as Bagley or Jackson, nor is he as physically gifted as Ayton, Bamba, Young, or a healthy Porter, nor is his IQ as high as Bridges... He's an excellent player, but putting him on a pedestal because of what he's done in Europe seems misguided.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-25-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote