View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #4009
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'd be wary of putting much stock in that new metric because according to it PG13 is just barely a positive on defense and guys like Austin Rivers, Dragic, Hood, Rose, Lillard, McCollum, Burke, DSJ, Hayward, and Seth are all better than him. Just to name a few of the "wtf" ones.
Edit- It also ranks Kawhi Leonard well below Seth and several of the ones I listed above.
Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't say that metric is in any way useful as a measure for ranking NBA defenders 1-whatever. It doesn't account for blocks, steals or rebounding, and I think it will inherently undervalue guys who spend a lot of time guarding the opposing teams best players, and vice versa (hence why PG13 and Kawhi are lower than expected). There may well be too much noise for it to really be useful, but it does indicate that Seth Curry might be a little better at defense than we thought (or maybe just that he was lucky last season).

As with baseball, I suspect that finding a single stat that tells us exactly how good a defender is will be difficult or impossible for the game of basketball. We have to do our best to look at all the numbers available and try to put them in the right context.

I'm very curious what you guys think the best advanced stats are for NBA defense. I haven't found one yet that doesn't have some major wtf inconsistencies with convention and the eye test.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote