View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #4034
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Interesting breakdown of Mav's free agency. Mavs doing "Toronto Raptors type of acquisitions." "Where is the big inefficiency right now in the NBA? It's non-superstars getting superstar money" and given the cap logic the next level of players down will automatically be underpaid - which is where the value and efficiency is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJUHC-XMLg&t=410s at 6:35

Some will see this as just a post-fact justification of an unsuccessful free-agency. But I tend to agree. If you are not getting the superstar that you value within your system, or he simply doesn't want to live in Dallas, why overpay for another and get stuck with an overpaid player on an immovable contract? That is not a winning formula. Either pay the proper value. Or underpay. Never overpay. Seems like a sound logic to me. Oh, and if an opportunity doesn't present itself this free-agency or trade window, keep the cap room and wait for another. You have no aging superstars and are not in the rush.
That's the one thing the Mavs FO probably did right that flew under the radar this season. They believed that several of their current players were good fits here and made an effort to re-sign them to longer contracts. Barea, DFS, Powell, and Maxi - all re-signed. They went after Curry knowing what kind of person and player he is, so I count that as well.

There will be consistency, and the FO values what Don Nelson termed "corporate knowledge". We can bag on Cuban all day long, but he's probably right in giving consistency almost as high a valuation as talent. The 2011 championship team had much the same coherence. They played together for a few years and were able to beat teams with more individual talent.

So while Cuban may have misguided the fans on their ability to "making noise" in free agency, he at least made sure that consistency was factored it. We haven't over paid anyone, and we still have ammunition.

Ok, that's all I got in the rosy picture department

Last edited by JJP; 07-10-2019 at 07:36 PM.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote