View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Regarding Adams, It's about value. I don't think the Mavs FO wants to spend 25m a year for 13 points and 9 rebounds a year. He's a good player, but his salary really limits the Mavs from getting an ace wing player at some future date.

If Powell starts, Per 36 Minutes, Powell will give you 17 points 9 rebounds
If Adams starts, Per 36 minutes, Adams will give you 15 points and 10 rebounds

This is not to say Powell is a better player inside. Adams is. But Powell spaces the floor a little better, makes the Mavs a little better in transition, and isn't a negative at shooting Free throws. I just don't see a good reason to put Adams on the floor at that price.
Not to dispute the points that you make, but I would like Adams for the space he occupies, not the spacing he creates; the intangibles that he brings in terms of toughness, plus a little opportunistic production.

He is the type of hard-nosed player who would serve as a bodyguard for KP and Doncic, although admittedly he would be a very expensive enforcer.

At the other end of the spectrum for that TYPE of player was Kyle O'Quinn, who filled that role for KP in NY; but O'Quinn just signed with Philly for one-year vet minimum. Probably could've been had if Mavs were interested.

I don't think, though, that you can pass every acquisition opportunity by, waiting for some as yet undetermined 'ace wing player' to sign. My intuition is that Donnie is on the phone with the NYKs every day asking about Ntilikina, and the Knicks just keep hanging up on him; if the Mavs got a future #1 back along with Adams for providing the Thunder some cap relief (and Courtney Lee), then the Knicks might take that future #1 for Ntilikina; or the Mavs could just remove the protections on one of the #1s they already owe the Knicks.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote