View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #4372
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm not sure how you think we should reinforce the roster. We're literally full on both regular roster spots and two-ways (15/15 and 2/2)

I'm also not sure why you think we need more bigs. The NBA isn't that big at all and a rotation of Powell/Kleber/Boban is fine for center. A rotation of KP/Kleber/Powell/DFS/JAckson and maybe Roby is fine for PF.
At this point, it'll have to be in-season, via trade or signing some FA scraps.

I'm not concerned about PF, but I do think they'll be overmatched against Western Bigs like Anthony Davis, Ayton (as he matures), Nurcic/Whiteside, Jokic, Gobbert, Adams, and KAT. I remember watching games last season against Denver and OKC, in particular, where Mavs could.not.secure a defensive rebound against Jokic and Adams. KP should mitigate some of that as an able rebounder from the 4, but still the concern remains.

Eastern conference bigs won't be any easier, just less frequent: Embid, Vucavic, Gasol, Lopez/Lopez, Jordan/Allen, Turner/Sabonis, Drummond.

Yes, the league has trended smaller for a few years*, but the NBA has always run in cycles, not infinite, inexorable, uni-directional trends, and there are beginning to be more bigger, stronger, quality 5s that are going to require more of a counter than Maxi/Dwight.

*I wonder sometimes how things might've been different if Blatt hadn't bitten for Kerr's ploy of playing small-ball in that championship series. Journeymen Mozgov and Thompson were killing GSW on the boards, and that series could've easily gone the other way if Blatt hadn't gone small. That and Irving's Game 1 knee-capping. Trend-chasing teams could just as easily have gone big then to counter a champion's big lineup.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 08-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote