View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #248
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Kinda tired of Dwight’s flopping. He is physically being beat up. Of course it is not his fault he has to take the bruiser of the other team coz KP can’t. That’s 150 million for you.
Agree that Powell is difficult to enjoy watching. But damned if he doesn't look productive in the stats. Seems like he hasn't developed that middle gear yet, it's all launch or crash; seems like he gets rigid when he gets the ball (assuming he catches it), and can mostly only go up all-or-nothing. Maybe I recall a couple of flashes recently of him understanding how to slow down and convert an easy bucket, so perhaps there's hope.

I think whoever plays alongside Porzingis is going to be expected to play the role of utility foul-absorbing bruiser, like Rambis for Kareem, Ivarroni for Malone, Oakley for Ewing, Thorpe for Olajuwon, and the string of 4s that Pop played at 5 alongside Duncan, a 5 playing 4.

In NY, KP had Kanter and O'Quinn, the latter being the more classic bruiser, and the player who, to my eye, brought out the best in some of KP's game. O'Quinn could match up defensively with more physical players, and take fouls defending them, with KP a weakside threat as a shotblocker. O'Quinn could also convert inside on tough offensive rebounds, and would draw the occasional and-1. He also had a decent mid-range jumper that complemented how the NIX used KP. He wasn't as effective as DP as a rim-runner, but on balance, I'd say his physicality complemented KP's game better. O'Quinn was available this year as a UFA, and signed cheap with the Sixers to play as a reserve behind Embiid and Horford. I wonder whether that Mavs even considered him, and if not, why.

I appreciate Powell's attitude and effort, but I think he would be more effective as a frontcourt reserve (8th or 9th man) than as a starter, akin to a Scott Williams-role with the Classic Bulls. (Also, if I recall correctly, he did NOT opt out of his contract, rather the Mavs signed him to an extension, which helped them with cap management this year. Not DP's fault if they blew free agency, he helped how he could.)

Bottom line: Yes, they could definitely use a talent upgrade at the 5, and this should benefit KP's game, assuming the offense is flexible enough to take advantage of a different type player.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-15-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote