View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #118
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yeah I dunno where people are getting this idea that Drummond is anything but a quality big man, especially the idea that he's a bad defensive player. He's one of the better defensive big men in the league. He's also the best rebounder in the league by a fair margin, and has a decent post-game too.

I think people are collectively a little too carried away with this notion that "traditional" centers who play in the post, don't shoot threes and don't guard 5 positions are dinosaurs and don't have a place in today's NBA. I don't buy it. There's always going to be a place for big men who play in the post and can rebound and block shots. It's just that A: the game doesn't revolve around them anymore, and B: they have to actually be good at what they do. The Erick Dampiers of the world may not have a place in today's NBA- big dudes who are just big and aren't particularly good at anything. But the Andre Drummonds, Rudy Goberts, Steven Adams's, Clint Capelas, and especially the Joel Embiids (i.e. guys are great in the post, not just good) will always have a place.
This makes good sense to me.

The big man isn’t obsolete in today’s NBA but the significance and value of that role has diminished. Big men are still a must but the percentage of cap space they take up should be directly proportional to the significance of their role.
In other words, bigs should come at discounts and if we acquire one at a premium we should receive additional assets in return.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote