View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #1444
LukaMagic
Golden Member

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
A couple of things

I disagree that luka is a bad off the ball player. I believe he just zones out more when he's not handling the rock.

Playing off ball doesn't just mean catch and shoot plays.

You could use luka in post up plays more, you could use him as a back door cutter or coming off double screens
I disagree too. Luka is fundamentally sound, and I am sure he can execute off the ball. But it is a part mentality thing (hard to change your ways) and part lack of solid alternatives to carry offense especially in the clutch.

Quote:
I believe Wright and Curry are capable ball handlers their usage just isnt as high because of luka being primary ball handler.
Yes, but I feel there are limitations to both so it is maybe not so simple. Curry seems a bit more comfortable with the ball but is a little too small and light, and easy to be taken off his game which is probably why he's been so inconsistent. Catch and shoot is basically his bread and butter, but occasionally he can get in the zone and get into serious production. But that has been very sporadic. And Wright is just not there yet. He can carry an offense ccasionally, typically against lesser teams and in non-clutch situations.

Quote:
Also as he pointed out which I've stated my opinion many times on here. The mavs would be better in the clutch if RC called more set plays and less luka pounding the rock.

I don't know how this has gone on for so long. It's easy to stop the mavs when one guy is dribbling an entire possession and everyone else is just standing around

I think it was you who posted that quote from S.Curry about the mavs being too predictable

The coach has to change this up not the players.

I'm shock that a guy on YouTube can see that the mavs don't truly run any set plays in the clutch. I used to feel as if RC always put Dirk in a prime position to win games late by running awesome set plays

That has not been the case this year with luka and most importantly KP who I believe is being used way too much as a stationary player.
I think this has gone on for so long because there are no obvious high-percentage alternatives you can count on. KP is not there yet, and as I mentioned above, there are serious limitations with Curry and Wright. I think there has been some progress with KP in particular over the last month or so, with some post-up plays, but this is going to be a slow process with him. If RC figured out how to exploit Dirk through set plays, then I'm sure he'll figure out what the prime positions for KP are. By the looks of it right now, KP ain't no Dirk (but that's maybe too harsh to say given his injury, switch to a new team, learning a new system). In time I feel he could possibly get there.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 01-30-2020 at 10:28 PM.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote