View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #111
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
NOOOOOOO, of course not! Brunson is a much better player now, and it's easy to see what he's becoming as a player. Brunson actually IS an "asset." I think it's possible that Frank N ends up being way better than Brunson, but it's also VERY possible he does not. Likely, even. I would not trade Brunson for Ntlikina.

If you KNOW there's a Brunson waiting for you at #31, sure, take him. But I heard a GM just the other day say something like "if you're hitting on 20% of your draft picks, you're one of the best GM's in the league." I definitely don't view Brunson as "this is what you're going to get early in the 2nd round."

I guess I'm just saying that I think Frank N's upside is less risky (and closer to the present, developmentally) than the chance of finding a winner at #31. Others might disagree, of course!
I guess this all comes back to the value of the draft. Imagine if Miami hadn't picked Herro at 13 because the history of picks at that number don't usually come out well. I just don't really care much about what happened in other drafts because they are all so very different in talent prospects.

Obviously, 31 is unlikely to land you a star, but a good GM should be able to get you a decent contributing role player there. And IMO, you can absolutely get an impact player at 18 in this draft. I know I'm digressing a bit, but to me it's all about whether the Mavs will value the draft or not this year.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote