View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #135
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
We are so lucky to be in the position where we have first pick of the second round from the team that was in the Finals last season and was supposed to be a contender this season. Let’s not blow our wad too quick here. We’re not asset-rich and need to maximize our returns whatever we decide to do with the pick. Ntlikina is absolutely not the answer IMO.
That's a reasonable take.

If there's a better option, I hope they choose it. I don't think Tyler Bey is a realistic option at #31, and my operating assumption is that it's very likely that what they'll get there won't EVER be a rotation player here. If that assumption is incorrect, I hope they recognize it and select the player they're excited about.

Even if I'm right, one can imagine that the asset could be used in a different trade that is more of a "sure thing" positive. If such a trade presents itself, I hope they choose that.

But, I DON'T care about the economics involved (yet) because one of the better advantages the team has for the next couple of years is their coming cap space. I'm not saying that I'm all in on "clearing the decks" for a Giannis push, because that's lunacy, but I'm also not turning the page on that summer completely until I've got something I like better. Until Luka's rookie extension happens, their cap flexibility IS an asset that can be used many different ways, and I think there are worse outcomes than a one year trial on a developmental player who might ultimately just come off of your books at the exact, right time.

I don't feel this way as a general rule - only because of their specific, current situation. The second Luka's salary gets to where we know it will, that option is gone for a WHILE, and then I'm right there with you: at that point, they had damn well better start looking at the draft as a means of infusing the roster with cheap "attempts" at talent on contracts that can be easily moved. Punting out of the draft is one of the ways they shot themselves in the foot during the Dirk era.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 09-29-2020 at 01:09 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote