View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #88
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I didn't intend to start listing people. The NBA has a limited roster and only 5 people can play at a time. Having said that, if the coach is correct 80% of the time, that sounds great numbers-wise, but the 20% "mistakes" can be extremely costly because of the additional expense addressing those mistakes. The Mavs have a limited pool of resources. Mistakes are setbacks. Also, it's hard to list several more examples off the top of my head because the Mavs for far too long undervalued their draft choices. As a result, over the years, there have been a lot less "young" guys on their roster. The effective result is the same - less playing time and development for younger players. Does this mitigate some of the blame on RC? Of course, he can't be responsible for playing or not playing what's not on the roster. How much is RC responsible for the composition of the roster? I have no idea. Does anybody outside the organization know?

As far as underutilization and coaching mistakes, I'll go ahead and be a troll and throw out a name - Roddy B. San Antonio anyone? ;-)

Yes, that was a long, long time ago, but then again so was 2011. ;-)
I went ahead and took a look to see if there was one I was forgetting

-JJB RC played and he had a pretty great career.
-Roddy B RC played him but he was mired by injuries.
-Dominique Jones RC didn't play and he was out of the league after 3 years.
-Ricky Ledo RC didn't play and was out of the league after 2 years.
-Dwight Powell RC did play and he still plays.
-Crowder RC played and he still plays.
-Jared Cunningham RC did not play and he played(barely) for 5 other teams in 2 years and was gone from the league.
-Bernard James RC didn't play him and he was out of the league in 3 yrs.
-Shane Larkin RC didn't play him much and he was out of the league after 4yrs.
-Justin Anderson RC didn't play him much and he's out of the league after 5yrs.
-Yogi Ferrell RC played him and he is still in the league.
-Dodo RC played him and he's still in the league.
-Hammons RC didn't play him and he was out of the league after 1 year
-Spalding RC didn't play and he was out of the league until Rockets signed him to a 2 way and played him 19 mins this season.
-Isiah Roby RC didn't play and he's currently with the OKC - TBD
-Brunson RC played and he's still in the league

I didn't list all the young players just the more notable ones. We had a plethora of guys who were roster fodder I won't count but we also had guys who had roles here and were undrafted and older players from Europe like Salah and Kleber who RC obviously played. But this list is more of an indictment of the MBT drafting and scouting personnel more than RC and his rotations imo. Now as you said I have no idea how much input RC has with the draft or scouting process but whoever it is this is a pretty trash list even if we are drafting late. The only one I can even get on board with is not Crowder but Roddy and only in his rookie season. Roddy in all honesty was never the guy he was in his rookie season. His rookie season he was an analytics star in limited minutes but after that he wasn't remotely the same player.

So for me in terms of young players and playing time for RC, with the exception of 1 season of Roddy B, I can't honestly see an issue with the lack of playing time for the list above.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote