View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #301
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I'm very happy RC finally made this change. Better late than never. It would've been nice to roll that starting 5 out with the zone during the regular season to get those guys more minutes together, but considering the fact that this was a high stakes, do or die playoff game, I was especially impressed with the group's effectiveness given pretty much no previous playing time together as a group, and none in zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
MMB Take
The big lineup change was Boban Marjanovic for Maxi Kleber, basically the opposite of my suggestion to match the Clippers small ball with Dorian Finney-Smith at the four. Boban wasn’t even that good — nine points and seven rebounds in 20 minutes — but it was just enough to A.) keep Zubac on the floor longer than the Clippers wanted and B.) coax the Clippers into more threes and just pray to the basketball gods they’d miss, which they mostly did. We still didn’t see much small ball from the Mavericks, as two of Boban, Kristaps Porzingis, Maxi Kleber and Dwight Powell were on the floor all night. The Mavericks still lost the rebounding battle but they at least grabbed 11 offensive rebounds, punishing the Clippers small ball more than the previous games.

I honestly thought we would get killed playing the zone because of the Clippers role players' ability to shoot. I was wrong (for at least one game). The zone disrupted PG and Kawhi's midrange game which had been destroying us games 3 and 4. I think we just have to be prepared for the possibility that in game 6 they kill our zone by hitting threes. If that starts to happen it probably means Maxi / WCS/ Powell get more minutes at the expense of KP and Boban.