View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Yeah I will never understand the argument that seems to somehow get thrown out there that the mavs are a young team and need experience 1st to win playoff series.

I've always felt when you have guys like Kleber, THJ, DFS, Boban, KP, WCS, Powell and Richardson all closer to 30 than they are 20 there is no way in hell this team should keep being labeled young or inexperienced.

But somehow you'll get a few posters who will continue to walk down that path going into the playoffs back to back years.

I brought up both Phoenix and Atlanta in another thread as two teams who quickly passed Dallas this year because they surrounded their star players with pieces via trades or FA that their FO evaluated properly and sort of made bolder moves than the mavs.

For example a lot of fans here would of told you Chris Paul had a terrible contract and didn't fit the timeline of Luka so there would be no need to make an aggressive move like that to win now.

Does Paul fit the booker/Ayton timeline?

On top of that they added a big wing defender like Crowder just for these playoff moments

The Hawks going after Bogdanovic was a smart move and one that I thought for sure last offseason the mavs would go hard after considering they were allegedly in love with him and needed another ball handler but they were waiting on Giannis a bigger fish pipe dream again

I thought A.Gordon would make a terrific fit on this team because they have been needing a serious big wing defender for years. I can't help but think if the mavs really wanted Gordon they could have got it done draft night for sure way before the trade deadline and even at the deadline if they weren't so in love with certain players already on this roster like a package built around Brunson/Kleber I think Orlando would've listened depending on what else you were adding to the deal.

Seems like small moves centered around guys like Wright, Richardson or Redick is what they are only willing to do in order to not disrupt much of the top rotation. It honestly wouldn't shock me if they make a similar deal this offseason for someone like Dragic.

They believed it was more worth the risk to stay intact and hope that a big fish finally lands here.

I agree with a few others even if they win this series they can't let that cloud their vision at some point you got to fix this defensive issue with bigger wing and get you a true secondary ball handler things that have lingered for 3 years now.
Outstanding analysis! This Atlanta thing is driving me insane that their FO was able to pull together pieces like you mentioned in very short order. Cuban et al keep making the same mistake where they overestimate the talents of their current stable of nice loveable players e.g. Brunson, Maxi, DFS et al and ignore midlevel free agents that could actually fill needs all in the hope of landing the biggest of fish which will never happen. Operation dry powder part 2.

Last edited by Zeus; 06-05-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote