View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #49
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

<< Yeah Murph, but having Howard to move at the deadline vs. being able to have $13m to get our pick of the free-agent litter are two completely different things.

Who was out there looking to clear space this year that would have made good trading partners? Don't say the Clippers, because in order to trade $20m of salary, you have to take back +/- 15% of $20m in salary. It would take 8 Clippers to make that trade work. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Raef's contract sucks, no doubt. We outbid ourselves. All things considered, and his current production being what it is, the fact that he's got the big money now pushes the trade over the line from successful to unsuccessful in my mind, too. But, Raef CAN get better, so it's not totally gloom and doom just yet. I still don't know how much better off we would be as a basketball team right this second, because Harvey would still be getting ass-sores from the cushy chairs, and Nash would be six feet underground.
>>

Atlanta was looking to clear space. I read somewhere that they didn't make a trade based on the fact they were not willing to trade good players for trash players just to go under the cap. The Hawks were looking at Coleman for Ratliff, but the trade would not have placed them under the cap. In very realistic terms I believe Dallas could have virtually made the same trade this year-(Howard, Harvey, Hardaway, 1 mil cash, 1st round pick)+ Bradley, 1 mil cash-and received thes players in return Abdur-Rahim, Ratliff, Henderson, Terry.

As bad as Atlanta wanted to clear cap space, there was no team even remotely close to offering them that kind of talent, including over 20 mil in cap relief, in return. Ultimately, no one knows how players are going to perform after being traded, be it psychological/different conference/different system. That said, can anyone honestly say that you would prefer a line up of LaFrentz/Nowitzki/Najera/Finley/Nash/Back up pg Van Exel over Ratliff/Nowitzki/Abdur-Rahim/Finley/Nash/Back up pg Terry to compete in the west?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote