View Single Post
Old 07-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #1971
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Holmes waived his 1.8m trade kicker so Mavs could up their offer for Thybulle?

That?s kinda wild to me. He?s not going to be making a ton for his career.
circling back to this, I have a few thoughts:

1) It makes me think a lot higher of him. It's a team-first move by a guy who barely arrived here and has no reason to show us loyalty. I'm going to cheer him on extra hard this year and half wonder if he can find a groove playing 4/5.

2) I hope Cuban makes it up to him. Helps him rejuvenate his career, hooks him up post-contract, etc.

Two stats I like

1) The last two seasons of three point shooting are largely fools gold (40% and 63%) because of the incredible low volume (13 total threes in two seasons), BUT if you take his entire career and filter by wide-open (no defender within 5'), he still shoots 39% from three. He's only shot over 1 attempt a game once in his career, but the stats do show that he is at least capable of keeping teams honest, and Luka and Kyrie are going to get him some of those open shots that he is capable of hitting which makes him a nice interchangeable 4/5 piece like Kleber.

2) His individual rebounding numbers are deceptively good-- both in raw numbers and in advanced metrics. Per 36, he's averaged a double-double for his career (16-10). It's not top-10 in the league but he's capable of snagging boards at a respectable rate. The bigger thing that I noticed was on/off-team rebounding. Even when he's not getting boards, he is disrupting the middle and screening for the rebound which makes his teammates better similar to Powell (except unlike Powell, Holmes pulls down some of his own boards too).

Long term I think we all want a frontcourt of Williams/OMax/Lively, but that is at least a half season away (if not 2-3 seasons away). In the short term, I could see Williams/Kleber/Richaun being a decent frontcourt in terms of defense and rebounding. All three can hit the three at least decently. All can defend. All are decent rebounders who can snag the board themselves or screen to allow Luka to get it.

Cautiously optimistic about the frontcourt and the season in general and at least in part Richaun is part of it.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-23-2023 at 12:36 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote