View Single Post
Old 02-09-2024, 03:58 PM   #511
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
IMO they are "missing the forest for the trees". The players, on the contracts they are on and their age, are the new assets if you need to pursue a high value 3rd star type of talent. I think the mavs have set themselves up for flexibility on the court as well as in the future for roster building. You can't always trade for a pg13 type player with 4-5 picks. We are better now then yesterday morning and we have young players and after the pick conveys to the Knicks we will have a small amount of draft capital as well if we need to put a package of youthful talent and picks together.
Thank you for reassuring me that I'm not going crazy. Aside from the draft capital we have left- which is indeed limited, but certainly isn't nothing- I think everyone also seems to missing how young the Mavs are. Every important player who could be considered part of our "core" is 25 or under, except for Kyrie. Kyrie's the old man of the group, and he's 31. This is a very young, athletic team. Just a couple of years ago it seemed the Mavs were one of the least athletic teams in the league. Young, athletic guys like Green and Hardy and Omax are indeed tradeable assets. I know Omax has yet to prove he can hang in the NBA, but most big trade packages involve at least one "prospect." And most of our players are on pretty team-friendly contracts too. It seems to be the assets are there to make a swing for a star, if one becomes available.

It's just strange to me that a team can significantly improve its roster on both ends of the floor and yet the national media can still say they're trade deadline "losers."
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote