View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 05:13 PM   #2102
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
This!

Jokic is fn badass. However, Luka is a bit above. He has been dragging this team through stretches of mediocre basketball. No one talks about this aspect, but he (and the team) has made Kyrie look like a kid again, enjoying the game and winning. Credit should go to Kyrie as well for realizing that this is Lukas team and he slid in next to him and showed patience while carving out a role. Those two were what each other needed, imo.

My concern was that Luka and Kai werent going to be good enough defensively...and it still has to be proven when a team has more time to game plan against them. But the crow tastes fine atm. Gafford and PJ were about as good as you could possibly do aside from swapping Kawhi or PG3 for PJ. He doesnt need the ball to make an impact and always gets back to defend. They make Luka and Kai starting together more than passable.

If Luka somehow doesnt win MVP, we are absolutely not dealing in reality, but instead more of b ball politics. If he doesnt win this year, you have to winder what kind of numbers a player has to average across the board to overcome these shenanigans. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets overlooked by Jokic and maybe even SGA then they shoehorn him in next season with lesser stats.

Its odd that no one can really point at any consistent benchmarks/categories to win MVP.
I'm just going on what typically wins the award. It is not and never has been an award simply for the best player. It's sort of a best-player-on-the-best-team award. The award almost always goes to a player whos team is at or near the top of the standings. If you really think Luka should win it, you're leaning heavily on the Russell Westbrook model- a lot of people, myself included, thought Harden should have been MVP that year.

And again, as much as my heart says Luka, the advanced stats still favor Jokic over Luka. Only by a little, but still. As mindbogglingly awesome as Luka is right now, I do think Jokic is just a tiny bit even more awesome.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote