View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

From the headline, I had a lot of hope for this article. To bad it turns out to be a bunch of crap.

Why reporters have a hard-on for coaches, I will never know. But coaches can do no wrong and owners can do no right.

There are a lot of things to blame Cuban for. And I thought Dunham and Miller did a fair job of laying it out this morning. To rehash what they said: Cuban and Nellie are indirectly blaming eachother. Cuban is involving himself in the personnel decisions and taking cover behind Nelson. Nelson is blaming Cuban when he says he wanted to address such and such problem and leaving hanging in the air as to why he didn't.

Ridicule Cuban for ragging on the officiating. Blame Cuban for blindly pursuing Rashard Lewis at the expense of acquiring other free-agents. Blame Cuban for not using the mid-level exception the last 2 years, or for nixing a NVE for Brian Grant trade before it ever fully developed because it would not guarantee a championship and would tie the mavericks to an even longer contract.

But not placing some blame on Nelson for having a team that plays remarkably similar to every team he has ever coached, for making moves in a similar vain, for acquiring Bradley before anyone ever heard of M. Cuban, or for bringing some french guy to spare us all to death is ludicrous.

And the notion that Cuban's failure to extend the coaching contract of a man who is contractually tied to this organization for the next ten years is stupid. Issiah Thomas has been on the hotseat all year too, and has another year on his deal.

While the argument has some basis in fact in college sports when considering recruiting, it has no support in professional sports. The Cowboys have had puppets for coaches for several years and hid little to no impact on the ability to keep or acquire talent. And any affect on players ability to perform probably has more to do with that particular coach's inability to get the most out of players rather than the player being distracted by worrying over who the next coach is.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote