View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #15
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

I think UmmmmmOk has the right idea. The undrafted players will have a diamond or two in them

Undrafted Players

Posted 5/15/2003 2:14 AM

Undrafted players make presence felt in playoffs
By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY
The road to the NBA for undrafted free agents usually runs through minor leagues, countless training camps and playing overseas as they try to beat the odds and stick with a team. Several players who traveled that road after being passed over on draft night have not only earned roster spots but are playing prominent roles in their teams' current playoff runs.

Spurs G Bruce Bowen, undrafted out of college, is among the NBA's top shooters and defenders.
By Kevork Djansezian, AP

"The common thread is they have a high level of character, determination and great belief in themselves," Detroit Pistons coach Rick Carlisle says. "They've come up through the CBA and developmental leagues and willed themselves into the league."

Carlisle should know. Detroit has three undrafted players: Ben Wallace, Michael Curry (starters and co-captains) and Chucky Atkins, who started Wednesday night in place of Chauncey Billups and sank the game-winning shot with 0.9 seconds remaining in the Pistons' 78-77 victory against Philadelphia.

"I didn't think I would play as long as I have on any level," says Curry, 34, a nine-year veteran and players union president who played in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Belgium, the U.S. Basketball League and the Continental Basketball Association. "My goal was to improve and be successful at whatever I did. I'm surprised I'm doing it in the NBA."

Most undrafted players fill complementary roles. Wallace, listed at 6-9 but closer to 6-7, is a notable exception. He is averaging 15.8 rebounds and 3.0 blocked shots in the playoffs. This season he became the first undrafted player to start an All-Star Game, and he was voted NBA defensive player of the year two years in a row.

"Ben is an unbelievable example of a guy simply taking advantage of an opportunity when people didn't believe he had a position," Carlisle says.

Wallace literally hustled his way into the league by attempting to block every shot after the Washington Bullets invited him to their rookie camp in 1996.

San Antonio Spurs guard Bruce Bowen, like Wallace, has developed a niche for himself with his tenacious defensive play. He was named to the NBA all-defensive second team for the third consecutive time this season.

"Just because you don't get drafted doesn't mean you can't play," he says.

Bowen, a seven-year veteran who has played for four NBA teams, plus stints in the CBA and France, led the NBA in three-point shooting (44.1%) this season. He's shooting 50% on three-pointers in the playoffs (20-for-40) and has the unenviable task of guarding Lakers star Kobe Bryant in the West semifinals.

"He has worked hard to make himself valuable," teammate Tim Duncan says. "Not only does he guard whoever we want him to guard, no one shoots that corner jump shot better than him."

Raja Bell has been an unlikely hero for the Dallas Mavericks, who lead the Sacramento Kings 3-2 in their Western Conference semifinal series. He scored 13 points in Dallas' Game 5 victory and had more field goals (four) in the third quarter than the entire Kings squad (three) as Dallas took control of the game.

Mavs assistant coach Donnie Nelson says Bell was "the real key in the most significant Mavericks win in the (Don) Nelson era."

"It's been kind of a crazy ride," says Bell, who played in the International Basketball League, CBA and USBL and went to camp with San Antonio and Atlanta. He played in the 2001 Finals with Philadelphia. "I've been some real low places and some real high places.

"But through it all I just stayed grateful I'm healthy and still here playing."

Contributing: David DuPree and Greg Boeck

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote