View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Another take on this year's FA market

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
I have a question that some CBA expert can answer. The midlevel can be given out at 4.5 for up to 6 years or split any way you want it right? So you could sign 4 1.1 million players for up to 6 years each? Given that some of these guys are really at the end of their careers, ie Malone, Pippen, Mourning etc. could we get 2 of them if we split the exection at 2.75 each for 6 full years.

If they retire the money would come off the books earlier? And if they didn't retire I'd rather pay Malone 3 mil a year to sit on the bench than Esch.

Is that a possibility?

Stressboy
No reason to do that because of the veteran minimum exception. You can sign any player for a league minimum contract regardless of how far over the cap you are. The league veteran salary is over $1M. So, I don't see the point of splitting the MLE between more than 2 players. We also have the Million-dollar (I think it is close to $1.5M now) exception as well.

But in answer to your question, you can split the MLE, which is what we did 2 offseasons ago with Esch and Manning. Sigh. You can split the money up any way you want, but I don't know if you can split it among more than 2 players.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote