Thread: Kidd to Dallas?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 02:21 PM   #49
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road
Default Kidd to Dallas?

kind of a side issue, but still adds a little more substance to stein's theory.

Kidd, Cuban Talk About Charity Golf Event

By HAL BOCK
AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Well aware of how much NBA commissioner David Stern likes to poke around in Mark Cuban's wallet, free-agent-to-be Jason Kidd chose his words carefully at an appearance Monday with the owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

Kidd talked about his summer plans to play in the American Century Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe, Nev., July 18-20. The event will benefit the Fallen Patriot Fund for families of Americans lost in the conflict in Iraq.

"That's the one trip I have planned," Kidd said, looking at Cuban, a major sponsor of the Fund. "Tahoe, not Dallas. We know how much the league loves Cuban. I don't want to get him in trouble."

Cuban smiled. He has been fined eight times for over $1 million in his three years in the league. Never for tampering, though. "I want to keep my money for the Fund," he said.

So Cuban played caddie as Kidd, accompanied by his 4-year-old son, T.J., launched a couple of dozen golf shots and talked about his free agent options.

Kidd began his NBA career with the Mavericks and moved to Phoenix before being traded to New Jersey two years ago. He has led the Nets to the NBA Finals in both those seasons and will be free to flee starting July 1.

Kidd said his agent, Jeff Schwartz, would arrive in town Monday night. "We've talked a little," he said. "We'll go to the board room. There's a lot of things going on. We'll see what happens."

For Kidd, the choice will come down to the best opportunity to win an NBA title.

"It falls to winning," he said. "I want to try to win a championship. You have an opportunity. You're not promised to get back. The big thing for me has been a chance to win. I want to win.

"We had a golden opportunity and we didn't get over the hump. It always hurts. We'll see what happens."

There has been speculation that Kidd might stay in New Jersey because his wife, Joumana, has built a successful career in broadcasting in the New York metropolitan area. Kidd downplayed that.

"Joumana has done quite well with her career," Kidd said. "No matter where we end up, she could make something out of her career."

Cuban said he is close to agreeing to a new contract with coach Don Nelson.

"We're trying to finish everything up," the owner said. "It's a process. Nothing is done until it's done."

Nelson said Sunday that he has an agreement in principle with Cuban.

"I've been offered a three-year extension to coach the Mavericks and we're working the details out," Nelson said Sunday. "Things are going along nicely. I'm not anticipating any problems with it. Mark wants me back and I want to be back, so you can imagine that we'll figure out a way to make it work."

Nelson also would continue as the Mavericks' general manager for the next three seasons, then work for five years as a team consultant.

Meanwhile, Cuban launched the Fallen Patriot Fund as part of his Foundation. He has pledged to match donations dollar for dollar up to $1 million.

The American Century Championship, a celebrity tournament which will be broadcast by NBC, will be a primary fund-raiser for the Fallen Patriot Fund. A part of the $500,000 purse won by players who retain their amateur status will be donated.

Last year, the event raised $140,000 for the Uniformed Firefighters Association Scholarship Fund.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote