Thread: Kidd to Dallas?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 11:04 AM   #124
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough
Default Kidd to Dallas?

If Kidd came here, I suspect he'd do what he did in NJ. He'd start in on the first shooting drills as the guy feeding the ball to the players shooting. He'd find out exactly where each player likes to receive a pass, and he'd figure out, through repetition where each player is best at receiving a pass. If Kidd can't get Raef to drain more shots, then he won' do it in a Mavs uniform.
I then suspect that Dirk goes up for more alley oops, maybe one per 2 games, same with fin, but more like 1-2 per.
Kidd will do similar things that Nash does in that he will penetrate to the hoop, and kick it out to whomever has a shot.
I don't know if Nash sees the floor as well as Kidd. He sees it pretty darn well, that's for sure, but I'm not sure he does as well as Kidd.
Just like Nash, Kidd will take over a game when need be. Though, I don't suspect that will happen given the great scorers in Dallas. Overall, his fg% is crap, but when the game is on the line, he sure appears to have a good %.
While I can't say that Nash doesn't have moxy, I know Kidd does, and that's something this team could use.

Here's a question: When we play the Kings and the Lakers, Nash gets swarmed with triple teams, and has difficulty passing out of them. (As I'm sure most players would.) Will Kidd be susceptible to that? Is he better at anticipating the double and triple teams?

If Kidd comes, then I'd agree we trade Nick. If a good post player is not available, I say we go after a shooter, like Brent Barry or Michael Redd, and a higher draft pick. I say this because I don't want Jason shooting the ball, at all. I want him getting the ball to the guy that can shoot, and that's Dirk, Fin, and said shooter. I prefer a big man, but I don't know how probable that is.

I like Nash, and I'd like to keep him. I'd feel comfortable making a run at Malone and Mourning, and acquiring one if not both through FA and trade, and I'd also feel comfortable selecting Malick Badiane in the draft, or do as someone suggested and trade 29 and 57 for Chicago or Milwaukee's second round picks. I also would feel comfortable then acquiring Jumaine Jones from Cleveland. I haven't seen him play in Cleveland really, but he impressed me enough in Philly's finals run 3 years ago, that I think he'd be an excellent addition to this club at the 3. And that all could happen probably with retaining Nick too. Though I suspect if we got both mourning and malone, nick would have to go to one of those clubs.