View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Anthony Carter Makes Miami a new player in Free Agency

Quote:
Riley might hang on to $11 million this season

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted July 10 2003

ORLANDO -- In the wake of receiving untold riches to spend on the NBA's free-agent market, Heat coach Pat Riley responded Wednesday by uttering the seemingly unspeakable:

He may not spend any of the available $11 million on long-term solutions for a team that went 25-57 this past season.

Breaking his weeklong silence on the subject, Riley said even in the wake of adding an additional $4 million to his offseason flexibility, prudence will remain his watchword.

"There are five guys that I have really targeted," Riley said upon arriving at the Pepsi Summer Pro League. "I don't believe we are going to get any of 'em. And I'm not saying the next level is mediocre, but I'm not sure it's going to be the right player that's going to get us over the top.

"And I can't let anything get in the way of preserving the room to get the right guy."

Translation: Riley is not going to spend the money just because he has it, even amid the euphoria regarding the newfound wealth that came courtesy of a clerical gaffe by guard Anthony Carter.

With Jermaine O'Neal expected to return to the Pacers for more than even the Heat could offer, with Jason Kidd having narrowed his choice to the Nets or Spurs, with Tim Duncan remaining with the Spurs, the top of the free-agent class essentially has vanished.

Factor in Riley's reluctance to deal with restricted free agents, players whose current teams can match outside offers, such as Clippers forwards Elton Brand and Lamar Odom, and the Heat suddenly finds itself with money for nothing.

What could be left is an all-or-nothing run at Warriors free-agent guard Gilbert Arenas, but only if the asking price comes down to a level Riley deems acceptable.

"I can't strap the team again right now," Riley said, still dealing with the burdensome contracts of guard Eddie Jones and center Brian Grant, as well as an austerity plan recently imposed on the team's business side. "This is a different time, so the economics play a big part in it."

The Heat entered the offseason with little chance of being romanced by the darlings of free agency.

But once Carter forfeited $4.1 million for next season by missing a contract deadline, agents began seeking sweetheart deals.

But with a youthful core, Riley bypassed veteran free agents such as Gary Payton and Karl Malone.

And the coach has been unable to convince himself that second-tier options such as P.J. Brown or Juwan Howard would be worth long-term investments.

"We will continue to work," he said. "If something perfect happens, and I just have a feeling that it's not going to with the guys that I want, then we'll go to the second plan.

"We'll have to make some decisions there -- or we'll just preserve the room."

Next summer's free-agent class could include the likes of Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and Kenyon Martin. But each could sign extensions before getting to market or remain beyond the Heat's grasp, as has been the case this summer with Kidd and O'Neal.

Without further moves, the Heat will not have as much space below the 2004 cap next summer as it has under the 2003 cap today. However, Riley insists flexibility will be maintained.

That could rekindle discussion of dealing Jones to Minnesota for the cap space that would be gained by taking on sidelined guard Terrell Brandon.

"If we can't do something now, then we're going to make sure we're going to have at least as much next year -- or more," Riley said.

Riley insisted he was not hoisting a white flag. The interest in Arenas appears sincere.

Otherwise, there could be one-year contracts for the likes of Michael Olowokandi, Kenny Anderson or others snubbed elsewhere in bids for long-term contracts.

"If I don't get anybody this year," Riley said of an elite free agent, "it's going to be a bunch of one-year contracts."

Such an approach has failed the Heat the past two seasons, the only seasons Riley has missed the playoffs in his 21 years as a head coach.

One area that won't feature any backtracking is with Carter, who apparently will not be offered the opportunity to recoup his losses.

"I feel for the kid, I really do, but there's nothing we can do about it," Riley said. "It's one of the most bizarre things that's ever happened."
Would you be willing to send Raef/AJ to Toronto for Grant? Toronto would get another 3-5 million to throw with the 11 million they got now to give a max player in 2004. Right now, they are just under max money, AJ would put them into that Max Salary land in 2004.

Thoughts?

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote