View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone believe the Mavericks haven't screwed up this offseason?

Quote:
KG...first, spare me your preaching on the protocol of posting on this board. I find you to sermonize on one hand and then do the opposite in your commentary. So give it a rest, bucko.
Protocol? This isn't about protocol. It's about proclaiming yourself to be the only rational, intelligent poster on this message board because people don't agree with you.

Also, "bucko"? Where'd that come from? 1955?

Quote:
Further, you and your ilk are reactionaries.
My ilk? Do you mean "my kind"? One of "you people"? Sheesh.

Quote:
You did it all year crying about the play-offs during the regular season.
Yep, I was bawling virtually throughout.

Quote:
Then when they arrived, you chewed fingernails and griped everytime anything happened that wasn't a Mavs victory. Yet they went further than you thought they would. And all that hand wringing in the regular season was for naught.
Actually, I've never chewed my fingernails. I don't have that particular bad habit.

The Mavs went further than everyone (including you) thought they would. But even as they did, we all realized that they would need to improve to get that far again. And yet, somehow, that makes me a reactionary. The fact that I would actually want them and expect them to improve in the offseason. Shame on me.

Quote:
So is this off-season reaction. Your thought and analysis still ends up only representing the negative side to every argument. Seldom do you not lockstep with the others and come to the worst case scenario, then look for someone to blame. The posting of your foolish pole should be enough evidence.
While I disagree that I "always" represent the negative side to every argument, and I definitely disagree that I "lockstep" with anyone else, at least I utilize thought and analysis. I actually talk about why my opinions are what they are. You very seldom offer any support for your disagreement. Just disagreement.

I support my arguments. Try supporting yours.

Quote:
Oh my Gosh, Nesterovic went to the Spurs! Well there's a dynasty in progress.
You said the Spurs didn't get any free agents. I was simply pointing out that they did. And if you don't think the Mavericks would have signed Nesterovic for the MLE, you're mistaken.

Also, I wouldn't really be making fun of the Spurs. They are the champs, after all.

Quote:
Apparently you didn't read the article posted here that stated flat out LA was the only destination Malone was interested in.

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/me...threadid=10756

Here's the thread. Enjoy. It surely knocks the crap out of your theory. It was about a contender. It was about Kobe and Shaq. It was about Hollywood and a ring. It was not about money. And not about Dallas, Texas.
I read it. I also read various articles from before free agency began where Malone stated his desire to play in Dallas. As MFFL pointed out in the thread you cite to, what do you expect Malone to say now? That he's bummed about being in LA, because he would have preferred to be in Dallas? Surely you're not that naive. That article proves nothing, except that Malone knows all the right things to say.

Quote:
Mark Cuban was interviewed on The Ticket in Dallas and stated flat out Mouring's agent said he was coming to the Mavs. Cuban immediately started working on getting Kidd. Zo called Cuban later and informed him he was signing with NJ.

So pardon me if I take Cuban's word over yours.
In the interview that I heard about, Cuban stated that when Zo's agent called him (last Thursday), he thought they were going to talk about exploring sign and trade possibilities to ALSO get Kidd to Dallas.

Here's the link. link

I took that to mean that Cuban was going to start exploring those possibilities. Perhaps I was wrong.

Quote:
Your being insulted made me laugh. As insulting as you have been to me because I don't agree with you. Well, Mr. Thin Skin, my suggestion is if the water is too hot then don't take a bath.
Spare me the tired cliches and machismo.

Quote:
Further the ramifications are pretty much out there for those that will look. I didn't corner the market on understanding, but if you would just raise your head out of the sand for a moment and take the wind direction, it's simple to see where the FA's are headed. They have been for years. Why should a 60 win season change this?
Try a new argument. I refuted that one a couple of posts ago.

Quote:
That sure contradicts what his agent says. So who would know Malone better. Now hit me with some of the Murphy-logic that you understand Malone's intentions better than his agent.
See above. If you want to hang your hat on that one article, fine by me.

Quote:
I am telling you that no results but getting the players you wanted would have been considered a good plan. If they fail, because of reasons beyond their control, then the plan is bad in your eyes. Results oriented complaints are pretty fickle.
Dude, do you even read? My two main complaints were that a) they didn't make an offer to Malone, and b) that they didn't make an offer to Kandi. I didn't say a) they didn't acquire Malone and b) they didn't acquire Kandi. I think the plan was bad because they didn't give themselves a chance to fail for "reasons beyond their control". If I truly believed that were the case, I wouldn't have any complaints.

Also, it's ironic that a guy whose defense of the team is entirely results-oriented would accuse me of having a results-oriented complaint.

Quote:
This is where the, "walk a mile in their shoes" thing comes in. You have not the first clue what they truly did. But you post as if you are on the inside.
Yes, I do have a clue as to what they did. They said what they did.

Cuban just said that Zo through his agent had committed to the Mavs, so they had no back up plan. They told Malone and others that they had spent their MLE. link

So apparently, Malone's agent contacted Dallas (why he'd do that, I don't know, since you say the only place he ever wanted to go was LA), and Cuban said, "Sorry, Dwight, I'd love to help ya out, but my money's all gone." I didn't say it. Cuban did. To quote you, pardon me if I take his word over yours.

Quote:
Since you didn't seem to understand the Lakers were Malone's only choice, as stated by his agent, then I'd say your not getting this is understandable.
The article you cite doesn't even mention "Hollywood". At least get your facts straight if you're going to throw lame insults my way.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The likelihood of a S&T for Kidd was much lower than simply pursuing guys who could have been impact FAs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again your assumptions are contrary to what the facts are. Therefore, you are miscalculating the true temperament of the Free Agent market.
Oh, really? So a Kidd S&T was more likely than simply pursuing FAs? Is that what the facts show? What facts?

Quote:

Right. They could only make the offer. But they didn't make it to Malone or Olowokandi.

Malone was not going to come here.
Nice conclusion on your part, no doubt supported only by that same self-serving article.

There is plenty of evidence that Malone wanted to come to Dallas. You can ignore it if you choose, or if it's convenient for you.

Quote:
Kandiman is an improvement how? Wasn't he sitting on the bench in the waning days of the season? Isn't he just a little older than dirt? But a few days younger than Malone.
Kandi's an improvement because he's a legitimate center who can score in the low post, rebound, and defend the post. Cuban's bitter comments about Kandi's agent make it pretty clear he would have liked to add Kandi. Too bad he didn't make an offer.

Kandi was sitting on the bench because the Clippers knew he wasn't coming back, and they wanted to spend their minutes on someone that might still be on the roster next year. That's pretty well-known fact.

Kandi just turned 28 in April. Yeah, he's pretty much ancient.

Quote:
So the answer to this off season was to hire the oldest guys in free agency. Thank the Lord in Heaven you are not the GM of this club.
Again, if you're going to throw lame insults at me, at least get your facts straight. Olowokandi is 28, about the age when big guys just start to hit their prime.

Also, there is no debate that Malone would have helped this team -- only whether he wanted to come here.

Quote:
Here's a quote from the article.

Some teams proposed sign-and-trade deals that could have netted Malone much more than the $1.5 million he'll take from the Lakers. Manley said he passed on "well over $10 million" after making $19.3 million last season.

So money didn't lure him. He wanted to go to LA.
I agree that money wasn't his consideration. But that doesn't prove that he didn't want to go to Dallas.

Quote:
Then this little diddy.

It never distorted the reality, which is that the Lakers had been Malone's No. 1 choice the moment he decided to cut ties with Utah, his home for 18 years.
Same article, same self-serving comments.

Quote:
So it wasn't money and his #1 priority was LA. Hello, is this sinking in yet? He didn't want money and wanted to go to LA. He has an offer that was 8.5 million more than he is receiving in LA but chose LA. Is this even denting that hard head of yours?
Same article, same self-serving comments, same lame insults from you.

Malone was NOT going to say he wanted to go to Dallas AFTER he signed with LA. Is that concept denting that hard head of yours?

Quote:
That sums it up pretty distinctly. He was not coming here and all the tears in the world will not change that fact. Neither will your blame game.
I haven't shed any tears, and you haven't proven anything, except that you're a bit naive with respect to public relations in sports.

Blame no one if you choose. That's your right. I blame the Mavericks only for not doing what they could have done.

Quote:
But you will twist this as you like because you can't open your mind, like so many others on this board, to the fact that Dallas is not a free agent destination.
It's not about opening my mind. It's about what Malone said, and about what the Mavericks didn't do.

You can't fault someone for trying but failing because of things beyond their control. But you can fault someone for not trying everything within their control.