View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 11:29 AM   #34
SpursFan72

SpursFan72 is on a distinguished road
Default teams in the West may keep getting better

Here you go guys, I posted this earlier in your "Around the NBA forum":

Actually guys, I don't think the Spurs are sending anyone away. If they do need to include anything in the deal, it will be picks. Here's why: This deal is really two deals in one. Sacramento sends Pollard + Hedo for Miller (who Indiana will sign and trade). Then, Indiana will send Hedo + Mercer to the Spurs to clear up salary cap room, since they are full at the shooting guard/small forward positions. This paves the way for Indiana to be able to resign Reggie Miller while allowing cap room for Indiana to go after another backup point guard. Spurs are able to absorb the contracts without trading anyone because of their cap room situation. They had roughly $14 million left after signing Rasho (thanks to the increase in the salary cap from last year and assuming they trade the rights or renounce the rights to Danny Ferry who will most likely retire anyway). Then they subtracted $5 million for signing Robert Horry, leaving roughly $9 million left for $8.7 million worth of contracts (Hedo+Mercer). The remaining money, roughly equal to a minimum contract, will probably be given to Devin Brown who they signed from their summer league.

The Spurs would still have a roster spot for Stephen Jackson even though they intend to resign Steve Kerr and Kevin Willis. However, most likely Stephen will look to resign with someone else. Reportedly, his agent was playing hard ball, demanding a long term deal that the Spurs were not yet willing to give him. My guess would be that Houston would be the destination, since Van Gundy seems to be very interested in him and he is from Port Arthur.

To verify my $14 million figure in cap space, you could go to Hoopshype.com ( http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm ) today and see that after signing Rasho and Duncan they were on the books for $29,325,408. Horry's and Brown's signings haven't been updated yet. The new $43.3 million salary cap - $29.3 million in contracts = $14 million.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously as ESPN Insider points out, signing Ferry to a non guaranteed contract and trading him works as well as my suggestion to trade his rights to Indiana or renounce him. Danny Ferry was contemplating retirement anyway, so I doubt the Pacers keep him. In either case, the $2.5 million hold the Spurs have on their payroll right now thanks to Danny Ferry , comes off so they can fully use their entire $14 million for their deals.
SpursFan72 is offline   Reply With Quote