View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #64
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default $400.00 per child Tax-relief Checks are in the Mail- Bush screws the working poor!!!!

Homosexuals are discriminated against because they are denied access to critical state-sanctioned benefits, such as marriage. Homosexuals are discriminated against because they can, in many states (including, of course, Texas) still legally be fired for their sexual orientation. Homosexuals are discriminated against because they do not enjoy many of the basic rights-- partner hospital visitation, some life insurance and Social Security benefits, partner medical insurance coverage and the right of adoption-- guaranteed by our government to its citizens. Is that a "widespread epidemic"? It seems so to me.

Obviously, it is the right of every American to sit back and judge for themselves whether they think homosexuality to be "perverse" and "disgusting". Likewise does your friendly neighborhood racist have the right to sit in his or her home thinking blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc. are inferior. When the government corroborates this thinking with the above laws, however, I start to have a problem. Especially when both the thought and practice are so obviously rooted in the Bible; Sen. Frist's recent description of marriage as a "sacrament" are especially telling, I think.

And I would disagree with you that a "vast majority" of homosexuals will never be physically or verbally assaulted for their sexuality. I've seen it happen with my own eyes, and I've known many gays who have experienced it.

The one thing I do agree with you on is the inadequacy of the word itself. The semantics of it are strange; it really should be one of the infamous "ism"s. I wonder why it is a "phobia"?