View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #108
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default $400.00 per child Tax-relief Checks are in the Mail- Bush screws the working poor!!!!

The use of "gay" to mean "silly, odd, weird, lame, stoopid, etc."-- Doc Bio's words-- is derogatory. Besides its use as slang to describe homosexuals, "gay" means "Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry."

Its use as the pejorative Doc described above is nothing more than a slur, a bastardization of the real meaning of the word. The implication, of course, is that being gay is "silly, odd, weird, lame, stoopid, etc." It's nothing more than a slur. As are "homo" and "fag" used the way they are on this board; if you'll go back and read the last six months of posts, I've found them used repeatedly as the ultimate insult. They are never, ever used in either a positive or even neutral light-- only negative. When used this way, it is the equivalent to using the "N" word. Would you ever even consider using THAT word? Ever? I'm sure you wouldn't.

Like Veruca, I don't find F*** to be at all offensive. Why would I? It describes nothing, is a slur to no one, is offensive only because people have decided it's a bad word. But I have heeded Doc's NUMEROUS complaints about the word and would never use it in this form-- though, frankly, it's part of my everyday vocab at work. (Such is the joy of working in advertising.) Likewise the blasphemy that Doc has requested we not use because it's offensive. I use this all the time, see no blasphemy in it, but refrain from using it on this board out of courtesy for his request.

I am simply saying that the use of "homo", "fag" and "gay" in a NEGATIVE or INSULTING manner is a slur, and is offensive to me. Do with that what you will. It's your choice. I am simply voicing that I, and others, find it offensive and repugnant and it finally got so out of hand that I felt compelled to say something.

And for the love of all things right and holy, I never ever said madape was a racist! Arrrrrgh!