View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 12:03 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Must read for anyone who uses yahoo email

The virus takes advantage of the exploit that was patched via MS03-014 (KB 330994). That patch was identified in WindowsUpdate as a Outlook Express patch, and is fairly new. The name of the virus is W32.Mimail.A@mm. Mcafee identifies it as Exploit-Codebase (that is the type of virus it is, but I found it odd that it calls it that). Here is info from Symantec on it:

Quote:
When W32.Mimail.A@mm is run, it does the following:

Copies itself to %Windir%\Videodrv.exe.

Adds the value:

"VideoDriver"="%Windir%\videodrv.exe"

to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

so that W32.Mimail.A@mm runs when you start Windows

Uses its own SMTP server to spread by email.
The email has the following characteristics:

From: admin@<current domain> (The from address may be spoofed as if to appear its coming from the current domain)

Subject: your account %s

I would like to inform you about important information regarding your email address. This email address will be expiring. Please read attachment for details.

Best regards,
Administrator

Attachment: Message.zip

Message.zip contains the file, Message.htm, which uses a code base exploit to create a copy of the worm named Foo.exe in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then runs it.
Have a virus free weekend! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]