View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play has three broken bones in back

Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play
Posted: Monday September 22, 2003 2:51PM; Updated: Monday September 22, 2003 2:51PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper will be listed as doubtful for this weekend with three cracked bones in his back, but the Minnesota Vikings' star quarterback still expects to play.

"I'm all right, man," he said. "It's just a little sore."

The official diagnosis is multiple transverse process fractures, coach Mike Tice said.

"It's a very painful injury, but it's certainly one you can play with," Tice said.

Culpepper was hurt late in the second quarter on Sunday at Detroit. He was hit by linebacker Wali Rainer in the end zone after his second rushing touchdown of the game.

The Vikings (3-0) host San Francisco this Sunday.

Gus Frerotte, a veteran of five teams and 10 seasons who signed with Minnesota this year, passed for 184 yards and a touchdown in relief Sunday.

"We'll see how he comes out of it," Frerotte said. "Either way, I'll be ready to go."

Culpepper, who became a starter in 2000, missed the final five games of 2001 with a sprained knee.

This year, his 108.0 passer rating leads the NFL. He has completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 514 yards for five touchdowns and no interceptions -- after leading the league with 23 last season.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, Culpepper is durable and considers himself a fast healer. He won't practice this week until Friday at the earliest.

"I'll be here pretty much 24 hours a day, getting treatment," Culpepper said as he left the team's Winter Park facility.

Minnesota's other superstar, wide receiver Randy Moss, is having trouble with back spasms. Moss aggravated an injury in the first week against Green Bay, and he played through pain Sunday -- managing 85 yards on three receptions.

Moss won't practice, either, until Friday -- if at all this week.

"Oh, he'll play," Tice said. "Are you kidding me? I'm not going to be without two of my best players. I might already be without one of them."

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote