View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 PM   #7
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Here is a hint SMU.....

I am an OSU grad and was at the game. SMU's defense was set up to stop the run. OSU's running back Tatum Bell was 5th in the nation in yards and 4th in scoring before the game. Bennet was quoted as saying before the game that they must stop the run. They had 9 in the box the whole game and single covered RW until he went to the bench with 7:00 mins left in the 3rd.

A few points in OSU defense:
1. Our offense simply took what it was given. They set up to stop the run. We beat them with the pass.
2. RW had his 6th TD at the beginning of the second half. The coaches were aware at that time of the record and like ANY coach in the world, let his guy go for the record. He did not play deep into the game to run up the score.
3. DFW is a huge recruiting area for OSU. As much as everyone must hate it, this kind of record is HUGE for a school like OSU. We actually got on ESPN along with OU's Perkins. This is huge for recruiting and you may hate it, but it is the way college football works.
4. As far as the interference thing goes, RW draws more interference penalties than any reciever I've seen play. Last year against some of the most lauded corners in the country, RW did this time and time again.
5. Our passing game has been very bad this year as the QB plays baseball in the offseason (he is a definate pro prospect) and through the first 3 games he had thrown 5 ints to go with only 4? TDs. This guy had 31 TDS and only 8? ints all of last year. We really needed to work on the timing in the passing game. And we did schedule this game with SMU to work on things before the grind of the Big 12 and for recruits to see us live in Dallas. Once again, don't hate the team for doing what is neccesary in the cut-throat business of college football.
6. OSU usually plays the role of the little dog in our conference. Believe me, all of our fans understand and sympathize with what the SMU program is going through right now. We didn't get the death penalty, but did get one of the worst penalties handed down to us by the NCAA for recruiting violations in the 80's. We know that SMU has had an unbeivable tradition and I have respect for thier fans and program and wish only the best for them.

LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote