Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE:My main concern

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
When Magic Johnson walked onto the court for the 1st time there was no doubt that he was the leader. Same with Larry Bird, Doctor J, and Michael Jordan. Some players take longer to establish themselves as the leader but it still has to come from WITHIN.

Dirk's not the unquestioned leader of this team (yet) because he doesn't want to be. It has nothing to do with Finley, it is up to Dirk.

All of these were Americans and native English speakers. How about some leaders whoe were foreign born and nonnative English speakers and that started playing the NBA at age 19 while skipping the college ranks altogether.

Dirk has a fairly unique situation. He needs to come along in Leadership, but he also has some things that make it harder than other leadership prodigies in the past. BTW Tim Duncan was allowed to ease into leadership of the Spurs without really ill affects. Dirk's personality is closer to Tim's than to Bird's.

That doesn't mean I don't want to see him improve in leadership this year, just that I think that we need to have realistic expectations.
Yep, it's about personality and circumstances. Dirk's personality wasn't formed or born to be the top leader. Our thoughts are mixed -some confused- since years ago, cause, otherwise, Dirk's basketball outstanding performance is related to the need of a leadership at the same level. It's the same problem-issue in every company: the best worker-technician-engineer doesn't necessarily has to be a good manager, less yet, the best manager.

There is also the fact that Nellie hasn't develop Dirk on those abilities, if they could be learned, but to colaborate in a teamwork basis, which, in my opinion, it's more valuable in the way the Mavs has worked. But it's also a fact that the team needs the presence of a high personality on the court not only for playing but for leading. And it seems the team doesn't have him. (Maybe Walker??)