Thread: Derek Jeter
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #28
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default RE:Derek Jeter

You know Murphy, you could argue that there were plenty of players better than Jeter if you wanted to, so I am see the angle you are taking.

But you can't argue with the fact that Derek Jeter is BY FAR the most important cog that is about to win its 5th world title in the past 7 years, and Derek Jeter is BY FAR the most important cog in that machine. He has come up with more big hits in the past 7 years than anyone in the league, and it is not even close.

So yes, you would take ARod and Bonds over Jeter, after that it gets a little murky. You can make an argument that he is among the top 5 All Around players in the league, and you won't get an argument from anyone if you call him the greatest postseason baseball player of the past 10 years.

And the thing is, that is how he is rated . No one (sane) is rating him as being better than ARod or Bonds. They are putting him in that tier below them, with a little sidebar in that he will soon have 5 rings and has been UNBELIEVABLY clutch in the past 7 years. Plus, he is a player you have to watch day in and day out to appreciate. Any Yankee fan would give up that roidhead Giambi before Jeter. So I think, while you may find 5 players "better" than Jeter, I don't think it would be as easy as you think it would be. And I think Derek Jeter's value can not be measured in pure numbers.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote