View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:The Official: Dirk Nowitzki Watch: Thread

Some VERY early season thoughts regarding Dirk.

The NBA season has barely stretched it's legs from it's long off-season hibernation and already from the first few Mavs games I've watched, Dirk's play has interested me.

The whole of Mavs play so far seems awkward and unfamiliar to me and Dirk has contributed to that in his own special way. I was surprised and excited to not just see a Dirk who has more possessions when he's around the basket, but a Dirk who had most of his possessions around the basket. In my mind this is just a continuation of my tentative speculation of Dirk, evolving into a player that's a 7 foot ball handling freak who can shoot the lights out from anywhere and occasionally get you a basket inside, into a player who predominantly...well...Dominates in the high post and around the basket, who draws fouls and who's uncanny shooting ability from outside, becomes just another tool in his arsenal as opposed to his primary weapon. His play around the basket has improved too. Last season we just saw glimpses of what Dirk was capable of doing with the ball in his hands around the paint.

There were times during last season where Dirk was continually fed the ball around the basket and he clearly wasn't comfortable around that area and his from was virtually non existant, yet somehow he continually found a way to get the ball in the basket and slowly but surely, hints of form began to show from his exercises. This season so far he still doesen't have what I'd call a classic post form and moves, but I noticed in his play around the basket that he looks much more practiced and polished around that area. His moves sleeker, his finishes a little prettier. He reminds me of Kevin Garnetts game around the basket, not a classic post move type of a guy with special footwork, pivots, and a go to shot, but a guy who everytime he gets the ball around the basket, looks like he's done it quite a few times before and from athleticism and determination, finds a way to put the ball in the basket. Dirk's 3 point shot hasn't gotten it's steadiness so far this season. I'm quite sure it will start falling once Dirk gets in the groove of things and used to his new aerodynamic haircut (heh). The things I noticed was that The Dirk from 2 seasons ago or even last season, would get frustrated and distracted if his outside shot wasn't falling. So far the Dirk of this season, upon noticing the shakiness of his outside jumper,seems reacting to it more like a pitcher who's curveball wasn't working great that night. Like a Larry Bird who when his jumper wasn't money that night, sucked it up and dug himself a spot in the post as he did quite a few times.

On a sidebar note. Dirk is moving well, at least on the offensive end. Perhaps the most athletic I've ever seen him be. I disapproved when Dirk shed the bulk he aquired 2 seasons ago and played with a much leaner frame last season. Maybe it's just the haircut but I think he's most effective with the long, lanky, slightly built frame he has now then any other he possessed before. On another side note, This news from Mavsfanfinley's report about Dirk being mad intrigues me. It's not often when Dirk gets mad and he always seems to play well when he is angry and flat out motivated. I always watned Dirk to toughen up more in the conventional sense but Dirk laying a lard foul on somebody? that exceeded even my expecations. The report of him jabbering with NVE on the sidelines is interesting too. If Dirk is trading sidebars with another player and it doesen't stem from a "stop pushing me!, I'm gonna tell!!" motivational standpoint like it sometimes does, then that means Dirk is being more assertive and aggressive. If trading barbs witha sour grapes Nick is what it takes to bring the leader out of Dirk then I'm all for it. The Minute Dirk says even something to the equivalant of "This is My Team then I will have my own private celebration.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote