Old 11-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #175
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs vs Raptors Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
Najera was awesome tonight, hopefully Nellie will continue to give him big minutes. He's earned them with a game like that.
Najera was as good as Najera could be last night. Unfortunately, he's just not good enough. He was repeatedly beat out for offensive boards, he provided absolutely no interior defensive presense ( unless you consider drawing a charge as a defensive presense) and he couldn't score his way out of a paper bag. If you want more production on offense, he needs to sit in favor of Jamison. If you want better rebounding, he needs to sit in favor of Jamison. If you want better defense, he sits in favor of Jamison.

Najera plays with heart, he's fun to watch. But he is not what this team needs out of it's forward position. With the talent we have loaded to bare at PF, there is no way in HELL Najera should ever get more than 10 minutes a game as a change of pace energy guy.
If we could infuse Najera's heart into Jamison's body we'd have a helluva player. Unfortunately, Najera's effort is what sets him apart from Jamison right now IMO. Jamison had plenty of opportunities to produce last night, and other than a nice up and under move, Antawn was the invisible man. Sure Eddie got beat for some ORs, but he gave as good as he got.

I'm not saying Eddie should get 30 mins, no no no, I'm saying 15-20 range. <u>Unless</u> Jamison earns those minutes away from Eddie. In that case 10-12 would be in order for exactly what you said, a change of pace/energy guy.

Of course, Nellie has his own designs on minutes distribution, and it's so unpredictable who will get the nod from night to night anyway.

I get the feeling that Eddie could average a double double in 12 mins a game and Nellie would still bury him at the end of the bench some nights. It's the offensive mentality of Nellie.

Quote:
If you want better defense, he sits in favor of Jamison.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that one, Eddie drew at least 2 charges maybe 3 last night, something I have yet to see AJ do this season. As far as the rest of the defensive aspects, it's a push.