View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 12:53 PM   #16
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Mav Starting Line

Jacktruth,

The only valid point you have is the potential foul trouble invovling Dirk. I would argue that because of Dirks lack of perimiter defensive skills that playing Center is his most natural and most effective defensive position and that by covering up his lack of D outside, the unit as a whole is much better off. Dirk is also becoming a decent help side shot blocker.

The reason to advocate Jamison to start is both Nellie tendenices. 1) He almost always plays his starters together for the first 7-8 minutes before bringing in the first bench player. 2) He has started Dirk at Center in the majority of lineups so far, thus negating the foul trouble issue. The fact that Dirk has started at center and not really had many foul troubles discounts the foul argument to some extent, but some of you guys that love to crunch numbers, can I'm sure find the actual breakdown.

The first one is the most significant because it allows Jamison to get his deserved and natural 30-35 minutes a game. I would play the fancy five for the first 8 minutes to start the 1st and 3rd and the last 7 minutes of the game. That is a total of 23 minutes with the best 5 on the floor together at the most crucial times. The other 25 minutes would have the combinations that you talk about.

As for Dirk not being effective at the 5 on O, that is just crazy. When Dirk starts to consistently hit the 3 again, you will see the true power of that lineup. The reason we have been struggling a lot(beside the two games without Nash) is that Dirk is hitting only 20% of his 3's and he is starting to pass them up. When that changes, people will trully fear the Mavs.

Duncan, Shaq, Miller, Dampier - I can't think of any others that might beat up Dirk in the post, but he is just a likely to get them in foul trouble as the other way around if they try to chase him on the perimiter. Also, I don't mind switching up a little to start some games as the matchups dictate, but overall the goal is to get the best 5 players on the floor as much as possible to get as much chemistry as possible going forward.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote