Thread: The Solution
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Solution

WARNING: The following post contains some radical thoughts and some "knee-jerking" about how to fix the team. I realize that I don't have all the answers, and I don't know more about the NBA than Don Nelson. And I don't care, because no one's forcing you to read this.

Here's my knee-jerk, spur of the moment thoughts on improving the team:

1. Trade Jamison, Najera, and Delk to the Blazers for Rasheed Wallace.

I know a lot of people don't like CTC, but he's an undeniable talent, and he fits better on this team than any of the guys we'd be trading.

Wallace - Bradley
Nowitzki - Fortson
Walker - Howard
Finley - Howard
Nash - Best

That's a bad ass team, defensively and offensively.

You've got five scorers who are very versatile and can score from anywhere on the court. Three of them can post up well, and most of them can get their own shot.

It's a very good rebounding team.

It has a lot of defensive potential. Think about these lineups:

Bradley
Wallace
Walker
Howard
Best

Bradley
Wallace
Nowitzki
Walker
Nash

Wallace
Nowitzki
Howard
Finley
Nash

I could go on and on, but you would always have a nice mix of offense and defense on the floor, because Bradley, Best, Howard, and Wallace are all good defenders.

2. Establish a set rotation.

Instead of using all 11 guys and acting like he's a kid with a new toy, Nellie should take this team and establish a set rotation.

The starters should be Wallace (or Jamison if he stays), Nowitzki, Walker, Finley and Nash. The guards off the bench should be Best and Howard. The frontcourt reserves should be Bradley and either Najera or Fortson.

Pick 9 guys. 5 starters, 2 frontcourt reserves, and 2 backcourt reserves. And then play them. Consistently.

3. Believe you're as good as anybody in the league. Specifically, the Lakers.

I thought we were over this after the playoffs last year, but then again, I guess we didn't face the Lakers.

The Mavericks have to start believing that they belong among the elite. They have enough talent to compete with and beat anyone -- they simply have to play like they know that.

I don't know if it has to be Dirk, or Nellie, or Fin, or Walker, or Steve, or what, but somebody has to take charge of this situation and say that it's NOT okay to act like underdogs. It's NOT okay to act like we're just happy to be here.

We can continue to stockpile talent in Dallas for as long as we want. Until the organization reaches the point where they expect to beat everybody and don't accept anything less, we're going to end up wondering about what might have been.