View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #23
The Buddha

The Buddha is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Nellie's toss... Tactic or cop out?

Good Point LRB....

Still, given Nellie's glaring weakness--lack of toughness--I prefer him with this fault and his assetts as a coach to other coaches in the league. The only guys I might want in his place are Phil Jackson or Popovich, but as these guys are comfortable coaching for the Mavs only real competition, besides the Kings, they aren't headed to Dallas anytime soon. So, I ask you, who in place of Nellie? I am just being a realist and saying instead of looking for some external change people need to start looking within. I just happen to think the Mavs players have had enough experience and success in the league these past years to be able to will their own wins over the Lakers, with or without Nellies encouragement. Case in point, last year when the Lakers came back from 30 to beat the Mavs, I was originally pissed that Nellie did not call more time outs to get their heads back in the game. Then I thought, why didn't someone like Finley, Nash, or Dirk take it upon themselves to stop the game. Why are they looking to someone else like Nellie to control their destiny? If you watch Phil or Popovich they routinely put it on the players to find the way and will to win. With the Spurs it is Duncan out there coaching, controlling the team. Remember last year in the playoffs Duncan all over Parker for his failures and his successes? With the Lakers you got Shaq and Kobe out there calling for the ball, never questioning there ability to get it done. Who coaches on the floor for the Mavs? Who is out there calling for the ball like VanEx did last year?

The Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote