View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #35
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The Solution: Part Two

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I'd do it KG. I would try to get a draft pick out of it if possible. we are trading 2 allstars for 1 superstar, 2 spares, and 1 huge contract for a player who'll never play again.

TMac has better handles and can drive the ball unlike Fin. He certainly could fulfill Nellie's vision of a point forward. We'll take somewhat of a hit on rebounding, but it shouldn't be that bad. This would be an even better deal it would could get rid of Tony Delk here or in another trade. As long as Delk is here, I'm afraid that JHo will benched for Delk. Most likely Nellie puts TMac at the 3 and and Delk at the 2 to start. SMALL BALL rules in Nellies mind. I'd look for a starting lineup of Nash, Delk, TMac, Dirk, and Juan Howard. Still this will probably help next year when we get a new coach. I like the idea of 2 superstars, 1 allstar, and 1 potential allstar all able to play in the lineup without anyone being out of position than 1 superstar, 4 allstars, 1 potential star with only 4 of the 6 being able to play at once without someone being out of position. I agree that JHo has potential to be much better than Jamision because of his ability to play both sides of the ball so well. Going against TMac on a regular basis would really make him great ala Pippen going against Jordan in practice.

I think the trade hurts us this year, but it looks like Nellie has already conceded to the Lakers this year anyways so it shouldn't matter. If we finish in 5th place instead of 2nd, it's no big deal. This will also really let Dirk grow. I really think the senergy of TMac and Dirk could be tremendous. Throw Nash and JHo in the mix and we've really got something. Now if we can add another decent center such as Mihm or Ostertag to go with Bradley and a already strong bench at the other 4 positions, then I think we're set for a long series of title runs. Just need to find a coach with some balls. But it's unlikely that we'll address that here.

So, I'll do the trade regardless, but I'd still try to wring a little more from Orlando in a future draft pick.

So I get the feeling you don't like Nelson that much? ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Actually I really do like the guy. I really do appreciate what he's done for the Mavs so far. I just believe we'll never get a championship with him at the reins. He just doesn't have that killer attitude to infuse into the players. He's also more equiped to coach an underdog team than a favorite or near equal to the favorite.

I think that this trade has to take into consideration what the coaching situation will be and what our options will be on deciding what direction it will take.