View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #14
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Kurt Thomas (has been benched, trade?)

Quote:
If nothing changes,
Thomas wants out
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003

Kurt Thomas is a productive player as well as a valuable insurance policy for both Antonio McDyess and Dikembe Mutombo. But none of that may matter since Thomas is also flunking the Knicks' infamous media training courses, which, as Marcus Camby and Latrell Sprewell can attest, will eventually lead to expulsion from Madison Square Garden.

"I know that," Thomas said. "I just want to go where I can play and where I can be appreciated."

Thomas is not asking to be traded, not yet anyway. But Thomas and his agent, Jerry Hicks, are hoping to meet with Knicks management to discuss Thomas' future with the team.

"Every indication we've received seems to suggest (Kurt) may not be in the team's long-term plans," Hicks said. "But we want to talk to them. Obviously, if he's not in their long-term plans I think it would be appropriate to at least consider (asking for a trade)."

The Knicks have been exploring trade possibilities with Thomas since last summer. There were rumors about a deal for Golden State's Nick Van Exel, who will be at the Garden tonight.

Another possibility is Dallas, Thomas' hometown and a place where he spent one season playing and working under Don Nelson.

Thomas has been unhappy with Knicks management since early October when the club denied his request for a contract extension. Then on Sunday, Thomas was upset with Don Chaney's decision to replace him in the starting lineup with McDyess. Thomas had started 186 straight games over three seasons.

Thomas has already said he will opt out of his contract this summer and test the free-agent waters. "I kind of felt that when they didn't offer me a contract extension that my time here probably was going to be up soon," Thomas said Sunday. "That's part of the job."

The Knicks are in a tough spot because McDyess and Mutombo are both health risks, while Thomas can play either power forward or center. But the Knicks also don't want Thomas to turn into a malcontent and a potential distraction. His public comments about Chaney's decision will make management sour on him quickly.

"If everybody comes on the floor with their own agenda we're going to have problems," said Chaney, whose team has won two straight entering tonight's game against the Warriors.

Chaney had his entire complement of players available on Sunday for the first time and you can already see how problems with playing time may surface. Thomas has voiced his displeasure, while Keith Van Horn's silence was deafening. For the second straight game, Van Horn was benched in the fourth quarter and bolted the Garden without speaking to reporters.
I say leave him alone till the off season. He ain't worth a trade. Make him sign for the exception.