View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 AM   #58
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:R.I.P. To 'The Big Three'

Quote:
Originally posted by: StupidDannyAInge
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Walker IS an inefficient scorer. .
According to you he is.
No, according to the statistics he is. The most accurate gauge of whether a player is an efficient scorer is the "points per shot" statistic.

Here are the points per shot statistics for the Big 5 this year:

Steve Nash 1.30 PPS (No. 14 in the NBA)
Antawn Jamison 1.26 PPS (No. 20 in the NBA)
Dirk Nowitzki 1.24 PPS (No. 31 in the NBA)
Michael Finley 1.17 PPS (No. 57 in the NBA)
Antoine Walker 1.04 PPS (No. 99 in the NBA)

Here are the points per shot statistics for the Big 5 from last year:

Steve Nash 1.31 PPS
Antawn Jamison 1.24 PPS
Dirk Nowitzki 1.35 PPS
Michael Finley 1.12 PPS
Antoine Walker 1.01 PPS

And here are the points per shot statistics for the Big 5 for their career:

Steve Nash 1.29 PPS
Antawn Jamison 1.17 PPS
Dirk Nowitzki 1.35 PPS
Michael Finley 1.16 PPS
Antoine Walker 1.07 PPS

As you can see, Walker is by far the least efficient scorer of the five this year, last year, and for his career.

Quote:
Walker is shooting a better FG% then Dirk so far this year but I don't see the threads calling him out?
It is still Walker's fault according to ....

This is what I am talking about.
This is what you're talking about? Pay attention, man. I haven't "blamed" Walker for anything. I'm simply telling you WHY he should defer to the other scorers on the team.

As pointed out above, the correct statistic to gauge scoring efficiency is points per shot, but if you want to talk about shooting percentage, let's do that.

For their careers, here are the FG% and adjusted FG% for the Big 5:

Steve Nash .462 FG%, .527 AFG%
Antawn Jamison .458 FG%, .474 AFG%
Dirk Nowitzki .462 FG%, .513 AFG%
Michael Finley .452 FG%, .487 AFG%
Antoine Walker .413 FG%, .458 AFG%

Walker is EASILY the worst shooter among the Big 5. The career numbers bear that out. So he is the least efficient shooter AND scorer.

Quote:
Walker has the best efficiency rating on this team so far this year.
Sure, that's true. And if we were talking about efficiency ratings, that might be relevant. But since we were talking about efficient SCORING, it isn't.

Quote:
Your blaming him for trying to pick up the slack for Dirk who at times has looked like he doesn't care at all out there (an admission by some people even at this board).
Here's what I said:

Walker IS an inefficient scorer. Seems to me that we should all agree on that, whether you like Walker or not. As Max pointed out, Walker has taken the shots because other guys have been hurt and it has been at least somewhat necessary to fill the void. Now that all of our scorers are healthy, that should no longer be the case. Walker SHOULD begin to defer to Nowitzki, Finley, Jamison, and even Nash. He should look to do what he does best -- rebound the ball, pass the ball, and be a facilitator offensively.

I didn't talk about (much less blame him for) anything he has done. I talked about what he needs to do NOW.