View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Offense vs. Defense

I do love to watch a high-octane offensive game. It's incredibly fun to watch a run-and-gun style offense, such as the Mavs, especially the past couple of years. The thing that makes a game exciting to watch, however, is not necessarily the thing needed to win a series of games. As exciting as the Mavs are to watch (and as boring as some find the Spurs), there is absolutely nothing like (from a fans perspective) celebrating a championship by the team that you have cheered and cursed throughout the year.

As I am not a statistician, nor a historian of the game (I've only been watching since '86), I can't definitively assert that "offense wins games; defense wins championships". I can say, however, that during our championship runs in '99 and last year, I cheered just as loudly for a defensive stop as I did for a made basket. It's just a different kind of excitement.

I've never really understood the dynamics of what makes a person a fan of a given team. It's probably a mixture of geography, players personalities, sytle of coaching....well, I guess there's about a million more possible reasons. All I'm saying is that I personally do not find the Spurs style of play "boring", and conversely, I love to watch the Mavericks play.

I wonder what kind of fan that makes me?
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote